Thursday, December 9, 2010

I’ve Got This

Deniz and I love the movie “Knight and Day”, starring Tom Cruz and Cameron  Diaz.  I understand you may not share this opinion.  Deniz and I have grown accustom to liking movies others hate.  Years ago, we loved  the movie “Joe vs. the Volcano”.  We were singing its praises as we left the theater while those around us were tearing it to shreds.   I was reluctant to see “Knight and Day” when it was released because I thought it was just another fast cars faster women exploitative movie.  I do not endorse Tom’s lifestyle or reckless choices and the movie certainly contained too many senseless deaths.  However, to my surprise there was very little bad language, no illicit sex scenes, and the paring of a middle- aged Tom with an appropriately aged costar was refreshing; two thumbs up.

Ok, so are you worried our blog has become a movie review site?   Don’t be, it is 2am and a short while ago I was writing in my prayer journal when I discovered something about “Knight and Day” which endeared it to  me even more.  Throughout the entire movie Roy, the Tom Cruise Character, is rushing in to save June, Cameron’s character.  They face many dangers together including; a plane crash, a car chase, an inescapable gun battle surrounded by enemies on every side, a fiery missile attack, and a cold hearted assassin.  In every situation Roy is unflappable while June screams hysterically.  In the middle of every chaotic situation Roy reassures June saying, “I’ve got this”, while offering oddly timed compliments like, “that’s a beautiful dress June” or “you really drove well back there June”.  Meanwhile, June is confused and thinks Roy is insane.  She spends much of the movie trying to get away from Roy and the pursuing danger.  Two thirds into the movie, after Roy sacrifices himself by arranging for his own capture, June finally understands how much Roy cares for her safety and protection.  June, free from their relationship, voluntarily embroils herself in Roy’s mission.  A new June emerges.  She is fearless, confident and bold.  She shines with love for Roy and trusts him completely. 

While journaling this morning, God revealed the similarities between my relationship with Jesus and June’s relationship with Roy.  I have spent too many days running from Him, blaming Him for the dangers surrounding me; blind to His efforts to protect me and build me up.  Two thirds into my life I am no longer deaf to His words.  My eyes are open; I see the sacrifice He made to ensure my safety.  I voluntarily seek to embroil myself in His mission to save the lives around me.   I am striving to become fearless, confident and bold.  I want my love for him to shine.  I trust Him completely.  With every challenge, with every unexpected danger I hear His voice saying, “I’ve got this”.   

 1-2God, listen to me shout, bend an ear to my prayer.
   When I'm far from anywhere,
      down to my last gasp,
   I call out, "Guide me
      up High Rock Mountain!"

 3-5 You've always given me breathing room,
      a place to get away from it all,
   A lifetime pass to your safe-house,
      an open invitation as your guest.
   You've always taken me seriously, God,
      made me welcome among those who know and love you.

 6-8 Let the days of the king add up
      to years and years of good rule.
   Set his throne in the full light of God;
      post Steady Love and Good Faith as lookouts,
   And I'll be the poet who sings your glory—
      and live what I sing every day. (Psalm 61, The Message)

 1 Hear my cry, O God;
         Attend to my prayer.
 2 From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
         When my heart is overwhelmed;
         Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
       
 3 For You have been a shelter for me,
         A strong tower from the enemy.
 4 I will abide in Your tabernacle forever;
         I will trust in the shelter of Your wings.  Selah
       
 5 For You, O God, have heard my vows;
         You have given me the heritage of those who fear Your name.
 6 You will prolong the king’s life,
         His years as many generations.
 7 He shall abide before God forever.
         Oh, prepare mercy and truth, which may preserve him!
       
 8 So I will sing praise to Your name forever,
         That I may daily perform my vows. (Psalm 61, New King James Version)


   You who sit down in the High God's presence, spend the night in Shaddai's shadow,
   Say this: "God, you're my refuge.
      I trust in you and I'm safe!"
   That's right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
      shields you from deadly hazards.
   His huge outstretched arms protect you—
      under them you're perfectly safe;
      his arms fend off all harm.
   Fear nothing—not wild wolves in the night,
      not flying arrows in the day,
   Not disease that prowls through the darkness,
      not disaster that erupts at high noon.
   Even though others succumb all around,
      drop like flies right and left,
      no harm will even graze you.
   You'll stand untouched, watch it all from a distance,
      watch the wicked turn into corpses.
   Yes, because God's your refuge,
      the High God your very own home,
   Evil can't get close to you,
      harm can't get through the door.
   He ordered his angels
      to guard you wherever you go.
   If you stumble, they'll catch you;
      their job is to keep you from falling.
   You'll walk unharmed among lions and snakes,
      and kick young lions and serpents from the path.

 14-16 "If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
      "I'll get you out of any trouble.
   I'll give you the best of care
      if you'll only get to know and trust me.
   Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
      I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
   I'll give you a long life,
      give you a long drink of salvation!" (Psalm 91, The Message)

 1 There was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”
3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
9 Nicodemus answered and said to Him, “How can these things be?”
10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel, and do not know these things? 11 Most assuredly, I say to you, We speak what We know and testify what We have seen, and you do not receive Our witness. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.” (John 3:1-21, New King James Version)

No comments:

Post a Comment