Friday, May 6, 2011

Serving One Master

I am a servant, not a politician but sometimes I forget.  The process of launching a ministry is difficult; even more difficult when funding is uncertain.  Recently, while soliciting for support I notice I began customizing my message to my audience.  Do you know the word "God" and "Jesus" have become taboo in certain circles?  


What if Connections could have a building to provide homeless services as long as we did not mention God or Jesus in the proposal, would God bless our mission?  What if someone was willing to give $500,000 to us as long as we agreed to not hold a worship service?  The answer seems simple, yet I found myself seeking favor from people instead of seeking God first.  Fortunately, God is patient and allowed me to see my mistake and make corrections.


Connections belongs to God.  Without God at the center it does not have a chance of success.  If I remove God from the front page or attempt to disguise our mission because I am concerned I will offend a potential funder, I risk offending God.  Connections is God based and will succeed because we choose to honor God above man and above the things of this world.


Are you hesitant to share your faith out of fear of offending?  Do you decrease the importance of Jesus in your life to gain favor with your peers, instructors, or boss?  Are you ashamed of God?  The world is changing.  Sexual immorality, drunkenness, hedonism, and lying are becoming the accepted norm while Christians retreat to the closet.  


On Thursday, I had an opportunity to attend the National Day of Prayer in Tallahassee on the steps of the Capitol.  Last July I sang for God on the steps of Georgia's Capitol.  On both occasions I felt freed from the weight of the world.  Expressing my faith and my love for God on such a public stage was exhilarating.  How much impact would be felt in our communities if we stepped away from fear and into public?  How will the world know God if they see no difference between Christians and everyone else?  Shouldn't we be dancing and singing and loving with abandon?  


"Dance like no one is watching, love like you'll never be hurt,sing like no one is listening,and live like it's heaven on earth."  This Celtic proverb captures the heart God desires to grow within us.  To share the love of God properly with the world it is time we begin living our faith out loud.  Connections chooses to strive to love Jesus as He loves us.


  

   13 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” (Luke 16:13, New International Version, ©2011)

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:33, New International Version, ©2011)

 8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”
 10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”
 11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him. (Matthew 4:8-11, New International Version, ©2011)

8 I tore the kingdom away from the house of David and gave it to you, but you have not been like my servant David, who kept my commands and followed me with all his heart, doing only what was right in my eyes. 9 You have done more evil than all who lived before you. You have made for yourself other gods, idols made of metal; you have aroused my anger and turned your back on me.
 10 “‘Because of this, I am going to bring disaster on the house of Jeroboam. I will cut off from Jeroboam every last male in Israel—slave or free. I will burn up the house of Jeroboam as one burns dung, until it is all gone. (1 Kings 14:8-10, New International Version, ©2011)

10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come. (Matthew 24:10-14, New International Version, ©2011)

 14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!” (Romans 10:14-15, New International Version, ©2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment