Saturday, May 28, 2011

Another Step Closer

My Christian life is much like walking on a moving sidewalk.  There are times my pace is easy and progress seems effortless.  There are times I try running ahead, only to find myself waiting for the rest of my companions to catch up.  There are times I feel like I am at a stand still, yet God continues to move me forward.  There are times I feel like bolting in the opposite direction, but I've learned I always end up back at the same place.

I have been pursuing God's vision for my life for several years.  Eight years ago I stopped running in the opposite direction.  Seven years ago began learning how to serve.  Six years God taught me forgiveness.  Five years ago I began to trust.  Four years ago He revealed his vision.  Three years ago I learned to wait.  Two years ago the vision sharpened.  One year ago He blessed me with leaders.  Yesterday I stepped from the moving sidewalk to the space between.  Today I praise God for His patience, faithfulness, and encouragement.  Tomorrow I step to the next sidewalk to continue my journey.

As of today I am no longer the Outreach Worker for the Big Bend Homeless Coalition.  I am the Senior Pastor of Connections Church and Executive Director of Connections.  We begin Sunday service as a leadership team on June 12 and launch August 14.  We have been blessed with funding, a free office and meeting space, and barriers which once seemed impossible to overcome have vanished.  My part in all of this; faith and obedience.  Which loosely translated means I stand when I feel like bolting and I inch my toes forward when God says move.  The rest He handles.  It is His plan, His battle, and His victory.

I am better equipped today than yesterday through God's process of healing and restoration.  It is often uncomfortable and challenging.  There are days when I long for the comfortable life promised on TV.  Yet, when I consider what God sacrificed to bring me here, and the emptiness I felt while living the American dream; I freely choose God.




6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6, New International Version)

 13 When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. (Acts 4:13, New International Version)

8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 10 We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. 11 For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. (2 Corinthians 4:8-11, New International Version)

2 In the desert the whole community grumbled against Moses and Aaron. 3 The Israelites said to them, “If only we had died by the LORD’s hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death.” (Exodus 16:2-3, New International Version)

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27, New International Version)



No comments:

Post a Comment