Saturday, June 4, 2011

Running the Race

I coasted this week.  It wasn't that I didn't accomplish anything.  I completed our application for funding, introduced myself to Boys and Girls Club (our summer hosts), established a new relationship with The Shelter and the jail, organized our finances (now that we have some), and had productive meetings with our core team.  Looking back over the week, I definitely coasted.

We purchased new bikes last weekend for the whole crew.  All of us need to exercise more and we have a great trail not far from our house.  On our first trip I dreaded every uphill and sought out every downhill.  Uphills require work; your heart pumps, knees strain, and you often have to shift to a slower gear.  On the downhill there is a breeze, your body relaxes, and you are encouraged not to pedal at all.  Unfortunately,  there seems to be more uphills than downhills.  Which means if you are riding for the downhills and dreading the uphills; enjoying the journey may be very difficult.

Friday morning Jasmine and I woke early and headed to the trail.  In the middle of the ride my perspective changed.  I was no longer seeking out opportunities to coast; I wanted to get the most out of my effort.  Why wake up at 5:00 to coast?  I met every uphill with a new exuberance; a chance to push myself, a chance to test my endurance.  On downhills I shifted to a faster gear and continued to press.  I was surprised at how much ground I covered.  When we got back to the trail head I was exhausted, my legs felt rubbery and my breath was ragged, but I knew I had gotten the most out of the experience.

As Christians we are tempted to coast.  We dread the next challenge and seek the easy days.  Have you noticed there are more challenging days than easy days?  If you are living for the easy days finding joy in this life is difficult.  What if we allowed God to change our perspective?  What if we welcomed challenges; pushed ourselves, allowed our endurance to be tested?  What if we fought the temptation to rest during the easy days and kept pressing forward?  

Paul referred to the pursuit of God as a race.  Running a race well requires focus, endurance, discipline, and stamina.  These same attributes are found in Christians who are seeking God to the fullest.  How well are you running your race?  Are you giving God your best effort or are you simply trying to survive until the end? 

Acts 20:24

24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.

1 Corinthians 9:24

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.  

Galatians 2:2

2 I went in response to a revelation and, meeting privately with those esteemed as leaders, I presented to them the gospel that I preach among the Gentiles. I wanted to be sure I was not running and had not been running my race in vain.

Galatians 5:7
7 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you to keep you from obeying the truth?  

2 Timothy 4:7

7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment