Saturday, September 25, 2010

Addiction

A friend, a brother, a warrior fell in battle against addiction this week and there are no easy answers. He was created for ministry, created to serve, to reach, to love, but Satan will not relent. I have watched him grow and stride towards God. He has submitted to authority. He has humbled himself and been humbled by circumstance. He knows the way, knows his purpose, yet stumbles and falls backwards. How many times can a man be expected to find his feet, to fight back against self loathing and despair?

Two weeks ago we sat in my office making plans. We knew temptation was waiting around the corner, we prayed for a positive outcome, dreamed of victory. It did not come. God allows the trial to continue, allows the test to continue. If he is to stand beside me in ministry he must be firm, strong, a man of solid integrity. To allow less would bring harm to those God loves. How many times will he be tested Lord, break him free from bondage.

Addiction is not an enemy to be taken lightly. I have felt it's grip and it is only by God's grace and mercy I am free. Knowing the right choice and making the right choice can feel miles away from each other. It may seem simple to those not ensnared by addiction, but as difficult as choosing to sever a limb for those who are suffering. Please pray for my friend, for those I serve; pray for God's mercy, pray He will lend them His strength. Do not close your heart to those suffering with addiction, our enemy seeks to kill and destroy and crafts weapons against us all. Addiction is idolatry and destroys our relationship with God. God must remain our top priority if we are to get out of this life alive. 

Examine your heart, what are you placing before God? Consider the "Rich Young Man" from Mark chapter 10. He knew the way but was unable to follow because he loved something more than God. Jesus understood the snares and sacrificed Himself to free us. Thank God for His mercy and grace.                                                                       
 
17 Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?”  
18 So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’
20 And he answered and said to Him, “Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth.”  
21 Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.”  
22 But he was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. 
23 Then Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, “How hard it is for those who have riches to enter the kingdom of God!” 24 And the disciples were astonished at His words. But Jesus answered again and said to them, “Children, how hard it is for those who trust in riches to enter the kingdom of God! 25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”  
26 And they were greatly astonished, saying among themselves, “Who then can be saved?”  
(Mark 10:17-26, New King James Version)

 17-20But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time.
 21-23It happens so regularly that it's predictable. The moment I decide to do good, sin is there to trip me up. I truly delight in God's commands, but it's pretty obvious that not all of me joins in that delight. Parts of me covertly rebel, and just when I least expect it, they take charge.
 24I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question?
 25The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.  (Romans 7:17-25, The Message)

No comments:

Post a Comment