Saturday, September 25, 2010

Pride

It has been a challenging week. I hesitate to say I welcome challenges but there are often lessons to be learned through them. This week, a border dispute with our neighbors reached crisis level. Our next neighbor passed away shortly after we moved to Tallahassee. We settled into our home, purchased two horses and I installed a electric fence. Eight years later the children of our neighbor have sold the property and their survey showed the fence on their side of the border.

I am a handy guy but I have been known to get things wrong on occasion. I don't get too many opportunities to install an 800 ft. fence line, so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility their surveyor was correct. However, they failed to mark the property line so it was impossible for me to see the mistake or make a correction. When the neighbors asked if I would move the fence I told them I would be happy to make the correction if necessary, but I would need the line marked. After several phone calls things seemed to be settled, until another family member called and screamed at Deniz, threatening to call the sheriff if we did not move the fence immediately.

Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and the property line was marked. I chose not to contest  and headed home Monday night to move the fence. I assumed I would have to move six, maybe twelve fence posts. When I discovered I would have to move twenty-five to thirty and  was over by more than a foot, I was embarrassed and overwhelmed. As I began systematically readjusting the fence line I realized the enormity of the project. I called Deniz and encouraged her to come home. I also rallied our nine-year-old and twelve-year-old to the cause.

Deniz broadcast the need to our friends and ask Jasmine to do the same. When I learned what she had done I was agitated and my frustration grew. When Deniz called my Dad I intercepted the call and told my him I had everything under control. I asked Deniz to call our friends and tell them the same, but God had a different plan.

Waiting patiently at the end of our driveway was the white pick-up of Steven Fielder. Steven approached the fence, asked where he should start and without another word set to work. "Ok sweetheart, I think we've got this, call Randy and let him know he doesn't need to come." Another truck pulled into the driveway, Randy. He stepped from his truck shovel in hand and headed to the posts beyond Steven. Within an hour Steven and Randy had removed every post from our neighbors property and had begun driving them back into the ground on the proper side of the line. The overwhelming job of moving 400 feet of fence in one evening was accomplished in three hours. I thanked Steven and Randy and asked Dad to help me finish replacing the posts Tuesday.

Why was I agitated by Deniz's calls? Why am I hesitant to ask for help? I humbly serve hundreds. I desire extend God's grace, mercy and love to everyone I meet. Can pride still be causing me to stumble? Yes. Years ago a friend accused me of not allowing others to love me as I love them; guilty. Although I make a conscious effort address this weakness, I still stumble. Monday, though I was desperate for help I did not want to accept it. Perhaps it was because I was embarrassed by my blunder or maybe simply unwilling to accept help. Whatever the motive, it was my foolish pride which threatened to stand in the way of God's plan.


Fortunately, God subdued my pride and blessed me in spite of myself. I was freed from my foolishness as soon as the guys started to dig. I immediately felt bonds of friendship strengthen and new ones begin to form. I witnessed God ministering to my friends and validate their purpose. My joy was restored through a simple act of kindness. Thank God he pushed through my stubborn pride. I pray for the strength to accept help in the future and to allow God's hand of blessing to move freely. Forgive me Father.


Rev. Larry Perry observes, "God often leads me through a trial before those I serve are led through a similar trial. You can not lead others where you have not been." I have lived this truth many times. There was a lesson for me to learn Monday. Foolish pride, hampers relationships. Connections will only have a voice in the homeless community if pride is subdued. It is not easy for anyone to ask for help; to admit they have screwed up; to show weakness. Connections, through God, will care and rescue people in need. However, if we demonstrate an unwillingness to be cared for and rescued ourselves, the community will know we are hypocrites. Relationships will be hampered and blessings lost.


 23  A man’s pride will bring him low,  
      But the humble in spirit will retain honor.
       (Proverbs 29:23, New King James Version)



10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. (James 4:10, New King James Version)



16 Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.  
(Romans 12:16, New King James Version)



 12 Pride first, then the crash,
   but humility is precursor to honor.  (Proverbs 18:12, The Message)



 9-10 It's better to have a partner than go it alone.
   Share the work, share the wealth.
   And if one falls down, the other helps,
   But if there's no one to help, tough!

 11 Two in a bed warm each other.
   Alone, you shiver all night.

 12 By yourself you're unprotected.
   With a friend you can face the worst.
   Can you round up a third?
   A three-stranded rope isn't easily snapped.  (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, The Message)




  

No comments:

Post a Comment