Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Long Road

Day 12

It is often said, “many of us are just one paycheck away from becoming homeless.”

As well intended as this statement may be, it fails to capture the true nature of chronic homelessness.  In August 2009 we suffered a severe personal financial crisis.  We were forced to sacrifice, budget every dime, and seek help from family and friends.  We placed our trust in God and he provided.  We are now emerging from the crisis wiser and dedicated to becoming better stewards.

As stressful as our experience was, we were never in any danger of becoming homeless.  We are blessed by education, family, friends, and a compassionate church.  Chronic homelessness is caused by much more than the loss of income.  Without connections, without support, homelessness breaks the spirit.  The damage caused by chronic homelessness can cause wounds which are difficult to heal.  We have witnessed the decline of bright intelligent Christian men and women when they are subjected to extended homelessness.  It often takes less than four months for a spirit to become broken and deep wounds to occur.

A large percentage of the people we serve who are experiencing chronic homelessness struggle with at least one if not more than one of these afflictions: lack of education, felony convictions, drug or alcohol addiction, undiagnosed mental illness or diagnosed mental illness without medication, developmental or physical disablities.  Some of these afflictions may have been present prior to becoming homeless, others are the product of the homeless environment.  Whether a pre-existing condition amplified by homelessness, or caused by homelessness, the afflictions are there and the road to stability is long.

Today we met with two men who God placed on our hearts years ago.  Both are Christian, both have made great strides towards stability,  but both still struggle with afflicitions.  It is difficult to watch those we love relapse, suffer set backs, and be sifted by our enemy.  We pray for them to find the path, pray for healing, pray for God to make a way, while we sit and wait for them to return.  We will rejoice with the angels when they do.

There is such great potential in those we serve.  They are often strong men and women of the Word, yet they have compromised with the devil in the past.  As they seek to reconnect with God, the accuser is there to see them fail.  These are the very ones God wants to rescue.  These are the very ones God has asked us to serve.  

Serving people experiencing chronic homelessness is difficult.  It is a long road and there will be many setbacks. Connections is committed to serving the ones God loves.  We will seek the fullness of the Holy Spirit so we have God’s love and encouragement available to share at all times.  We will pray without stop.  The journey will not be easy, but God will lead us to green pastures.

The following passage illustrates God’s love for those we serve.  If you are ready to commit to serving, we need you.  God is seeking men and women to walk alongside his loved ones down the long road.  It will take patience, love, strength and courage, but the celebration in Heaven will be like no other.

Matthew 25:34-46 (New International Version)
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'
44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'
45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'
46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

No comments:

Post a Comment